camel-users mailing list archives

From rouble <>
Subject Performance Degradation due to Reverse DNS Lookups
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 21:20:50 GMT
Camel Dudes,

We have detected a very strange issue in that our https routes degrade
in performance when an ip address is used (as opposed to a domain

Turns out that the Java core libraries do reverse DNS lookup for ip
address when SSL connections are created. Read all about it here:

This becomes an issue when the IP address is not configured in the DNS
server and the reverse DNS fails. In this case each connection has to
wait for a timeout of the reverse DNS request before it can proceed.
This makes domain name connections faster than ip address connections
- which is backwards.

Is this a known issue? There are a few workarounds/hacks recommended
on the interwebs, I was wondering if it would be possible to introduce
them into camel

View raw message