camel-users mailing list archives

From ddewaele <ddewa...@gmail.com>
Subject Camel - Commons Configuration
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:25:45 GMT
Our application has a configuration repository based on Apache Commons
Configuration.

We're using commons configuration because we like the configuration file
reloading strategies and the ability to combine several configuration files
(to solve the issue of dealing with environment specific properties) into
one.

I would like to use configuration values from that commons configuration
inside my Camel flow, so as per the documentation in
http://camel.apache.org/using-propertyplaceholder.html , I created the
following beans :

	<bean id="configuration"
class="belfius.gegc.flow.one.camel.spring.factory.CommonsConfigurationFactoryBean">
	    <property name="globalConfig" value="./base/globalConfig.xml"/>
	</bean>

	<bean
class="org.apache.camel.spring.spi.BridgePropertyPlaceholderConfigurer">
	    <property name="properties" ref="configuration"/>
	</bean>

The first bean simply loads up the commons config file repository and
converts them into properties. I'm now able to retrieve configuration
properties inside my flow using the standard camel property syntax:

<camel:log message="========== Value = {{some/value/from/commons/config}}
=============" loggingLevel="DEBUG"/>

This works fine, except offcourse for when the configuration changes. As the
PropertyPlaceholder is constructed once at startup, it loads up the commons
configuration files and converts them into properties, but we lose the
ability to change the config files on a running system and have them picked
up by Camel.

Any idea on how something like this could be implemented using Camel /
Spring ? Is there something available out of the box or would this be custom
development ?