camel-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can (S)JMS be safely used on Java EE?
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2013 17:03:58 GMT
On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau
<rmannibucau@gmail.com> wrote:
> jWorkManager or WorkManager?
>
> the last one is part of JavaEE but does not have contraints on injections
> AFAIK so it doesn't really helps IMO

WorkMananger is for thread pools. Not for IoC / bean injections etc.
So it DOES help, if you want to let the container manage all threads.

Though it requires that any 3rd party framework supports this API or
offers a hook to inject with jWorkManager.
The latter does Camel.

And there may be something for Spring etc.

But I hardly see anybody use that.
Camel / Spring / etc works perfect in JEE containers.

> the best is to get resources from where you need (lookup, BeanProvider from
> deltaspike...) with a correct scope (not requestscoped for instance which
> has no real sense in such a thread)
>
> Note: deltaspike has a kind of cdicontroller to allow to get scoped cdi
> beans in batches, maybe something to have a look on
>
> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>

> 2013/2/8 Claus Ibsen <claus.ibsen@gmail.com>
>
>> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Harald Wellmann <hwellmann.de@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > It it safe to use SJMS or JMS in a Java EE 6 application?
>> >

>> Yes, a lot of users is using Spring JMS / Camel / And a zillion other
>> frameworks in JEE servers such as WebLogic, WebSphere etc.
>> And has no trouble at all.
>>
>> Though there is an API called jWorkManager which you can implement and
>> plugin to a JEE container (if it supports that)
>> Then you can let the JEE server manage the threads.
>>
>> Camel allows you to plugin a custom thread pool manager so you can use
>> that jWorkManager.
>>
>> We had some people in the community working on that for their WebLogic
>> server. But they kinda just dropped that
>> as it works flawless without doing that.
>>

>> > You are not supposed to start threads in Java EE, but (S)JMS uses
>> > thread pools for consumers. Is it guaranteed that features like
>> > resource or CDI injection, CDI scopes, JNDI lookup will work in these
>> > these threads just the same as in a container-managed thread?
>> >
>> > Isn't it true that MDBs are the only official way to asynchronously
>> > consume JMS messages in a Java EE application? Does SJMS have any
>> > adapters for MDBs?
>> >
>> > (I'm mainly interested in SJMS, but I believe the same issues apply to
>> > the Spring-based JMS component.)
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> > Harald
>>

>> --