camel-users mailing list archives

From gonzalo diethelm <>
Subject Camel, websockets and Javascript
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 18:55:38 GMT
I'm back on this list after some time; apologies if this is obvious or previously discussed.

I am thinking of the following architecture for a monitoring system:

1.       A set of Camel routes that gather the information required from many different sources
/ formats.

2.       A Camel route that publishes this information on a websocket in a given format (JSON?).

3.       A Javascript "application" that gets the information from the websocket and updates
a set of divs in order to display it.

4.       A set of HTML / JS / CSS files that give the application its look & feel.

I have been looking around and it seems points 1, 2 and 3 should pose no challenge; there
even are a couple of Camel examples that can be used as a basis for this.

My doubts are about point 4. Since I will be exporting the information from Camel using a
websocket, I will have an instance of Jetty running under Camel. It looks like it would make
sense to somehow configure this instance of Jetty so that it also acts as a regular web server,
where I could host all the static files from point 4, to be served to the application over
http / https. This would mean the application talks to Jetty over two channels, one websocket
and one http / https. It would allow me to tie everything up neatly in a single "application
provider", rather than having to configure a separate web server.

Does this make sense? Would it work? How should I configure Jetty to do this? Or this makes
no sense and I should explore a different way?

Perhaps I need to write the server-side code as a Java app that has both Jetty (as web server)
and Camel (as EAI infrastructure, including its own copy of Jetty) embedded into it?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Gonzalo Diethelm
DCV Chile

penalties set forth by Chilean law.