camel-users mailing list archives

From Raul Kripalani <>
Subject Re: Camel converters chaining.
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 17:15:50 GMT
Could this be the culprit? [1]

Take a look at the type converter that I provided in a patch. You may be
able to copy the logic and use it in your solution without upgrading to

Just implement a custom converter and make sure you put in the appropriate
configuration in META-INF/services/... so that the SPI magic can find it at
runtime. Check out [2].

BTW, I agree with Claus. Automatically chaining type converters is very
dangerous as it can result in sub-optimal combinations. If it ever got
implemented, we'd have to come up with a clever mechanism to find the
optimal combinations and penalise the suboptimal ones. But this is
practically impossible because if you have high variance of message
complexity in a single route, it's likely that the optional combination for
message A may perform badly for message B, where another one would have been

While it would be a "nice to have", it makes the system less predictable and
dangerous for production scenarios. Type converters are easy enough to
implement and deploy as they stand nowadays ;)