camel-users mailing list archives

From Bob Jolliffe <bobjolli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RouteDefinition vs Route
Date Sat, 28 Jul 2012 16:54:12 GMT
Thanks Babak

On 28 July 2012 11:42, Babak Vahdat <babak.vahdat@swissonline.ch> wrote:
> Hi
>
> the easiest is to check their javadoc:
>
> http://camel.apache.org/maven/current/camel-core/apidocs/org/apache/camel/Route.html
> http://camel.apache.org/maven/current/camel-core/apidocs/org/apache/camel/model/RouteDefinition.html

Have done that ...

> Another way around, in the context of the MVC pattern one could claim that
> the RouteDefinition is 'M' (using JAXB for mapping between Java/XML) whereas
> the Route abstraction is both the 'V' as well as 'C'.

I almost get what you are saying but it doesn't quite work for me.  If
the Route is a view (which I know is a bit of a stretch) then it has
to be a view of something.  I guess I would expect to see a
getRouteDefinition() method on the Route in that case.

So my question is that starting from the Context you can get a list of
Routes and a list of RouteDefinitions.  How do these relate to one
another?  I can see that if the Route/RouteDefinitions have an id.
then you can find one from the other through that, but the coupling is
loose and possibly for a good reason.

It seems more that a RouteDefinition is a sort of template for
creating a Route .. probably there is something historic in this as
the javadocs refer specifically to the <route /> element, so there is
clearly a jaxb model type relationship.  Except that the configure()
method of RouteBuilder also creates a RouteDefinition rather than a
Route, so RouteDefinition is a bit broader in its semantics than
that..

Still exploring further .. thanks.
Bob