camel-users mailing list archives

From ctytgat <>
Subject Re: Advice needed with Camel/AMQ use case
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2012 15:40:34 GMT
Hey Raúl,

thx for your reply. It's been a while but the problem is still relevant.

In the meantime I got to a more or less acceptable solution by introducing a
blacklist of destinations, and delaying messages based on this blacklist.
This way I don't block consumer threads on connection timeouts which
basically solves (2).

I still can't preserve ordering though, which I'm sure will cause us
problems sooner or later.

You asked to clarify the following:
"create 1 queue per destination and consume from all queues using a
wildcard. But I don't see a way of accomplishing everything without having
again 500 threads. "

Well, this is basically your "multiplexing" solution.
But assume I got 500 queues, and 20 consumers. If I got 30 unreachable
destinations, these 20 threads could potentially be waiting on connection
timeouts etc, while the other 470 destinations don't get served quickly
This is really worst case, sure, but theoretically it can happen :)

Also, don't you think having 500 queues won't severely impact performance?
There's also more bookkeeping to do like cleanup obsolete queues etc...

If you got more ideas, I'd be glad to hear them :)