camel-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Barber <>
Subject Re: SNMP traps - missing information in the Camel message?
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 23:57:40 GMT
On 8 May 2012 01:07, Ed Manero <> wrote:
> Hi Jonathan/Claus,
> It looks like there is a deficiency in camel-snmp. only uses org.snmp4j.PDU.getVariableBindings()
to construct a camel message based on snmp traps received by the component.  However this
is only supported for v2c and v3 type messages.  Version 1 messages are represented by a
subclass org.snmp4j.PDUv1 which as unique accessors for obtaining the information you are
looking for.

I just finished duplicating your work before I checked my email to see
you had done it!

I submitted my patch (against Camel 2.10.0) under CAMEL-5255.

> I have opened CAMEL-5251 for this issue and attached a modified which
creates version 1 messages that look like this:

This is a better idea than I had - for some reason I pretended the
sequence names were oids. So I've stolen your layout and reattached my
updated patch.

I've also included the attribute Claus suggested to make it easier to
know that the extra information is available (although I've set the
messageType to v1 because I don't think there's such as thing as SNMP

> I work with snmp messages very often and I am also new to camel so please feel free to
correct any mistakes I may have made either in the usefulness of the snmp message I constructed
or the manner of implementation within the camel-snmp module.

I think SNMPv1 traps contain variable bindings as well, and I don't
think your patch handles this?

> Regards,
> Ed
Jonathan Barber <>