camel-users mailing list archives

From Christian Müller <>
Subject Re: How to structure Apache Camel Deployment in OSGi Bundles
Date Wed, 23 May 2012 22:20:41 GMT
We break up our integration solution into logical parts which we deploy
separately (in it's own OSGI bundle).

Another reason could be scalability. If you break up your integration
solution into individual services and the load grows, you could start more
OSGI container running (only) this service.

Another reason could be high availability. Imagine you have a JAX-WS
interface and your business logic baked together in one bundle, you have a
downtime of your service in the case of an upgrade (imagine you don't use a
load balancer in from of your JAX-WS service which balances between
multiple instances). If you split your JAX-WS interface and your business
logic into two bundles, you can upgrade your business logic without a
downtime of your service. The request may takes a few seconds longer, but
the service is available.

Another good thing is reusability. If you create a bundle which wraps your
JDBC datasource and export this datasource as OSGI service, other services
could use this datasource instead of defining its own. That's also the case
for other services.

And there are more reasons, but try to avoid to have too many too tiny

My 0.02 $,