camel-users mailing list archives

From Knut Aksnes-NOR <Knut.Aks...@jeppesen.com>
Subject Splitting of mail
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 15:43:11 GMT
We have a concrete problem related to the SMTP component of Camel.

In one of our systems we need to distribute certain data of some size to customers via mail,
our customers mail connections very often have strong restrictions on mail size, at the same
time we don't have control over their mail setup, think satellite links. What we want to do
is to pre split the outgoing mails to particular sizes (dependent on customer) using MIME
message/partial . What I can't find is API support for this in Camel. At the time being we
essentially have  a few options (In prioritized order; the order of 2 and 3 is likely to change
if 3 can be implemented fast):

1.       Somebody points us to the relevant API (or we discover it ourselves)

2.       Find some way of manipulating a mail server to do this for us, configurable via
custom mail headers. (We will then have to find such a mail server and be able to configure
it)

3.       Write a component (Probably a bean) to spit a mail message based on MIME related
RFCs. (Likely to be problematic as we need to find a solution fast.)

4.       Handle the splitting on the application level. (Will have bad architectural consequences,
the project will then switch character from integration to a maintenance project on a couple
of components we would strongly prefer not to touch.)

Any hints related to solution 1 - 3 would be appreciated, having to go for 4 is bad news.
3 is OK if we are able to get it done fast, that is if we are able to get a tested solution
within a couple of weeks. I consider the writeTo method of javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage
a good start.