camel-users mailing list archives

From drichelson <drichel...@tendrilinc.com>
Subject Spring + web PermGen memory leak when reloading webapp
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:04:34 GMT
I am working on a project that deploys a Springified web app to an already running container
(Jetty7, but I have also confirmed the same issue with Tomcat 7.0.26)
The details:
Camel 2.9.1
Apache Tomcat 7.0.26
jdk1.6.0_26
CentOS:
Linux version 2.6.18-238.el5 (mockbuild@builder10.centos.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704
(Red Hat 4.1.2-48)) #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 15:51:15 EST 2011

Originallly our application has many dependencies, so I started from scratch and still get
the leak.

The application is as basic as it gets- in fact it does nothing. removing the Spring nature:
<listener>
	<listener-class>org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener</listener-class>
</listener>

in the web.xml file fixes this issue.

I have posted the project here:
https://github.com/drichelson/spring-camel-leaker

A Tomcat log (catalina.out) is also in the Github repo.

Of course, restarting the container fixes this problem, but ideally we would be able to hot-reload
this web app as needed.

I have profiled the container using YourKit- for each reloading of the app there is an additional
WebappClassLoader that sticks around. The Permgen usage increases about 3MB with each reload,
and by much more with our full application loaded.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Dan
use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses.
The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.