camel-users mailing list archives

From Hervé BARRAULT <>
Subject Batch Consumer
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:24:54 GMT

I have a simple mission which is to send persisted objects through web
service.Currently, the persisted "messages" are in a JMS queue.

I noticed that I have a lot of small messages which I could aggregate to
build a big one. I think being able to improve the throughput by reducing
the ratio envelope/Data (I think also that the target application is more
efficient with big messages than small ones).

I thought using a batch consumer (read all available messages with
obviously a max number of message) then an aggregation (based on the batch
size) before processing the "batched exchange" but it seems that there is
nothing ready for JMS batch consumer.
I have also seen the batch aggregator but it would increase the latency
when i have few messages as i should wait the completionTimeout.

I see also in documentation that JPA batch consumer should do a similar job.

1) Is it useful to use batch+aggregator to improve throughput ?
2) Is using JMS and looking for batch consumer a good idea (or better to
look to JPA)?

Thanks in advance for answers.