camel-users mailing list archives

From Omar Atia <omar.a...@its.ws>
Subject Re: Garbage collection Execuation ...
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 04:10:43 GMT
Dear Deckergo,

The issue in the old gen heap , it keeps growing while running the stress testing it reaches
1.5 GB and keeps the used heap that size even after finishing the testing , it keeps the same
size I tried GC from JMX nothing changed .

Can you advise if I should pass any parameter to JVM for GC ?

How can I manage to free the old gen heap to back to original state before doing the stress
testing after directly finishing the testing I need to restore the old heap .

Thanks,
Omar atia
Sent via BlackBerry® from mtc touch

-----Original Message-----
From: deckerego <deckerego@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 18:00:32
To: <users@camel.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Garbage collection Execuation ...

You can't force garbage collection to happen. You can /request/ that the JVM
invoke it's configured garbage collector when it's next possible to do so,
but a System garbage collection call is just a prompt and not a forced
invocation.

Since JMX is enabled on your map, your best bet would be to use the garbage
collection profiling plugin of VisualVM. Watch which portions of the heap
grow - PermGen, Eden, Tenured, etc. That will tell you if you have leaks or
if you are constantly generating new objects and destroying them. It sounds
like you're rapidly marshalling objects, so I'm guessing it's the latter
situation.

If you have a large number of messages being concurrently marshalled than 2
GB isn't out of the realm of possibility. You may want to find the average
size of each message being marshalled - both its XML representation as well
as the size of the TCP packet. It's not uncommon for an XML message to be
10x the size of its bytecode representation.

It doesn't sound like you have a Camel issue per se, but more of an
application profiling issue.

atiato wrote