camel-users mailing list archives

From James Strachan <>
Subject Re: Is RMS faster than JMS?
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:16:39 GMT
On 23 November 2011 14:02, KingAndrew <> wrote:
> Thanks for the input.  The whole question comes from my clients that have
> used corba/rmi for 15 years.  Now that we are switching to
> Camel/ActiveMQ/JMS they all say:
>  "It might scale better but I don't see how it can be as fast as Corba/RMI"

Making an RPC with any technology requires the client send a message
over a socket then wait for the server side to context switch, read
it, respond, send the response, the client then receive it and process
it. With asynchronous messaging you can fire and forget the message;
so its very fast; no sat around waiting for the server. YMMV though,
depends on what you're trying to do.

Other benefits of messaging over Corba/RMI are location transparency
(no need to know the exact ID/host/port of the server), load balancing
and automatic failover (if a consumer fails to process a message its
replayed to another consumer automatically), and loose coupling over
time as well as location; the server could be down when you send your
message; the server will catch up and process the messages when it
gets back.

Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews

Open Source Integration and Messaging

View raw message