camel-users mailing list archives

From Jim Talbut <jtal...@spudsoft.co.uk>
Subject Re: Camel Web Console Questions
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 09:41:36 GMT
Tarun,

I'm just another user, but I've recently been trying to turn camel-web
into something that suits my needs.

There are certainly problems with camel-web, but I'm not convinced that
Tarun's heading in completely the right direction.

The two big problems with camel-web for me are:
1. I use OSGi and need multiple contexts.  This is what I'm fixing as
and when I get the chance.
2. I want more information about the endpoints (i.e. I want complete
details of the CXF endpoints even when they are configured via a bean).

camel-web-2.8-SNAPSHOT.war is 28MB, is that really "very heavy"?
I think the choice of JAX-RS was the right one for camel-web, and I
would be wary about working on a REST based system that did not use it
(simply because it would be more complex).
The choice of Jersey over CXF-RS seems to have been made in order to get
support for implicit view providers (@ImplicitProduces) - a simple grep
shows that no other pom.xml references jersey whilst some do reference
CXF-RS.  I would be more at home with CXF-RS, but implicit view
providers are quite neat for turning a REST service into a website.  I
have no idea of the relative sizes of everything required for jersey vs
everything required for CXF-RS (but if CXF-RS is there anyway then
certainly jersey has to work hard to justify itself).
I think the choice of scalate was a mistake.  It does its job well, but
it is relatively heavyweight and, much more importantly, is not well
known and thus makes things more difficult for contributors (it took me
a long time to get the implicit views working in OSGi).

camel-web is not, and IMHO should not be, an all-singing, all-dancing
monitoring platform - but it should be more than the proof of concept
that it appears to be now.
It should (IMHO) provide a full (REST probably, but possible something
else) interface to allow camel data to be integrated into your choice of
all-singing, all-dancing monitoring platform.
If a web interface over the REST interface can be provided easily then
great - and I don't care whether that's server side or client side.

camel-web can be extended easily thanks to maven war overlays (allowing
you to add files and to replace any of the files in the original war).
How else can camel-web be both self contained and extensible?
Maybe the correct answer is to split it up into more bits (and not try
to be both self contained and extensible), that would at least allow the
OSGi bundle to be smaller and more OSGi-ish.

Having been through this process myself over the last couple of weeks I
ended up concluding that I was better off spending my time converting
camel-web into something better rather than starting again.

Jim