camel-users mailing list archives

From gonzalo diethelm <gdieth...@dcv.cl>
Subject RE: Service architecture
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:19:46 GMT
> Hi Gonzalo,

Hi Christian, thanks for chiming in.

> I am a big fan of camel so don´t understand me wrong.
>
> If you are using JEE all over the place then you should at least think
> about migrating to JEE6 I am regularly reading the blog prosts of Adam
> Bien and from what he writes the modern JEE implementation could be a
> great platform. I never really did JEE as it really sucked below EJB 3 but
> I think it has become quite good. Using JEE would allow you to use the
> knowledge your developers have with it.

All good points. I may be a little jaded after all these years using EJBs; I feel I am ready
to try something new.

> For async Services  I really like camel´s pojo messaging with jms. Where
> you use a plain java interface for the handler. The serialization can be
> Java serialization or JAXB. This is very simple to setup.

Yes, Camel JMS integration is great.

> For synchronous calls you have to decide between SOAP and REST or even
> Spring HttpInvoker.
> If you want to create client code then SOAP will be better. If you go java
> first then REST or HTTPInvoker are simpler. For multi language SOAP again
> may be easier but REST will also be possible with e.b. JAXB seralzation.

I think I will go with REST, using plain XML as the underlying format. One thing that I like
about this setup is the (crazy) possibility of prototyping web applications with something
like Ruby on Rails, or any other web app framework that is REST-ready and whose format is
language-agnostic.

> From my point of view I think JEE will be simpler to get running but less
> innovative and less open. The apache stack above will be more complex to
> setup but provide more flexibility. So it will be a tradeoff like always
> in architecture.

Totally agree. Thanks for the high-level view.

--
Gonzalo Diethelm

penalties set forth by Chilean law.