camel-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [INFO] Project scalaz-camel
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2011 13:02:45 GMT
Hi Martin

Its really exiting work and experiments you are doing.

Wonder how you get the time? And have you left Groovy completely or is
it still part of your IPF platform?

I think the success of Camel is the simplicity, and that its plain
Java, than any green-horn developer can get started with.
That said, the FP and Kleisli composition and whatnot is out of the
legue for that kind of developer. (myself would need to spend a bit
time catching up on this as well)

However what you show here is a peak into the future and with promise
of scala and what it brings to the platform would make take the DSL to
the next level. But I think for it to be adopted by the general masses
it has to be at a level they would be able to understand and use it.
In the end its not above who can write code with the fewest codelines
that does the most. Its about people can understand and maintain it,
also after 6 months without glaring at the code.

I am sure its already doable, but then we should have documentation
and samples at "the level" those people can understand.

But I am sure as such a talented engineer as you, its more fun to take
it to the highest level :)

Okay I think I'm getting on a sidetrack here.

In terms of donating your camel-scalaz to Apache. Currently I think
its best hosted at github which fosters a higher degree of innovation.
Then when the project is stabilized and you think its ready, then yeah
we would love to distribute it at the Apache kit.

I love what you are doing and now my sparetime is not occupied writing
a book, I am sure to tend some time to looking more into the world of
scalaz, akka and scala.

We do have the simpler camel-scala module at Apache Camel. It could
use a bit of love to make the DSL a bit more scalaish and also some of
the EIPs lack some of  the latest additions which we have added to
camel-core.
So we could use your expertise to take a look and improve the areas
which you feel would make the best improvements.

There is raising interrest in Scala and thus also in camel-scala.

--
Claus Ibsen