camel-users mailing list archives

From Martin Krasser <krass...@googlemail.com>
Subject [INFO] Project scalaz-camel
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2011 08:22:21 GMT
Hi,

I want to let you know of a new Camel-related project that I've been
working on over the last couple of weeks:

scalaz-camel - A Scalaz-based DSL for Apache Camel [1, 2]

 From the docu: " This project provides a domain-specific language (DSL)
for Apache Camel that is based on the Scala programming language and the
Scalaz [3] library. It supports the combination of message processors
and endpoints to complete message processing routes based on functional
programming (FP) concepts such as continuations, monads and Kleisli
composition. The scalaz-camel DSL is an alternative to Camel’s existing
Java DSL and Scala DSL (it does not depend on the org.apache.camel.model
package) ... [and]was re-designed from scratch with the goal of a better
and more native integration with the Scala programming language." (find
more at [4])

Over the last year I've been involved in Scala projects that use Apache
Camel and was looking for a way to better utilize the power of Scala and
functional programming concepts when creating integration solutions with
Camel. The scalaz-camel project is a proposal how this could look like.

I'm posting this message because I'd like to hear your opinion about the
approach taken by scalaz-camel. I'm also interested in your opinion
whether you see a need for a stronger investment in supporting Scala and
functional programming in Camel.

The scalaz-camel project is still in an early stage, some features (for
production) are still missing (and documentation needs to be completed)
but I hope the general direction is clear from the latest release
(version 0.2). I'm also open for discussions about contributing
scalaz-camel to Apache Camel.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards,
Martin