camel-users mailing list archives

From "Wilson, Chad (Equity Technology)" <c.wil...@baml.com>
Subject Issue with route specific onException and jms component
Date Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:36:36 GMT
Hi all

(Apologies about corporate junk at bottom of message)

I've been trying to upgrade our Camel usage to 2.5.0 and have been
scratching my head about a weird integration test failure and change in
behavior in 2.5.0 related to per-route exception handling. The issue
seems to occur when the JMS component throws an exception on a secondary
route as a side effect of processing a message on a primary route - for
some reason the exception ends up bubbling up to the primary route
rather than being caught by the ErrorHandler for the route the component
is in. Additionally, the secondary route's message ends up stuck in
flight.

The flow we're trying to achieve in this use case is:

1) Message X received on Route A
2) Do some stuff to Message X
3) Synchronously generate and send ack message Y down secondary Route B
	3a) Use recipient list to dynamically decide reply endpoint
	3b) Ack perhaps cannot be delivered to this endpoint for some
reason (JMS error)
	3c) Handle exception somehow
4) Continue processing Message X on Route A

I've adapted this into a test case (possibly could be simpler) - the
attached passes consistently for me on Camel 2.4.0 but consistently
fails on Camel 2.5.0. Can someone explain why?

I've noted issues like https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-3448
but if I remove the error handler from the primary route the exception
still bubbles back up, so I don't think it's due to this.

Is anyone able to explain this behavior? Any workaround suggestions if
it is indeed a bug? We'd prefer to stick with Camel 2.5.0 to benefit
from some enhancements to use of property placeholders and other bits
and pieces.

Many thanks
Chad

This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not
an intended recipient, please notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies
and attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of any
action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this message is prohibited.

Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any
investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any
transaction, or an official statement of Sender. Subject to applicable law, Sender may intercept,
monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems and
may produce any such EC to regulators, law enforcement, in litigation and as required by law.

The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may
be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are
located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or free of errors or viruses.

References to "Sender" are references to any subsidiary of Bank of America Corporation. Securities
and Insurance Products: * Are Not FDIC Insured * Are Not Bank Guaranteed * May Lose Value
* Are Not a Bank Deposit * Are Not a Condition to Any Banking Service or Activity * Are Not
Insured by Any Federal Government Agency. Attachments that are part of this EC may have additional
important disclosures and disclaimers, which you should read. This message is subject to terms
available at the following link:
http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Sender you consent to the
foregoing.