camel-users mailing list archives

From Tracy Snell <>
Subject Re: Camel JMS component tied to Spring framework - bad news
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 17:52:43 GMT
There are some caveats when using Spring-DM and OSGI. Guillaume Nodet does a far better job
than I ever could explaining some of the issues in his blog:

Tracy Snell

On Oct 12, 2010, at 3:08 AM, Christian Schneider wrote:

> Hi Madhav,
> while it is a shame that you canĀ“t use JmsTemplate and JmsMessagListener without adding
half of the spring jars to your project it does not force you to use spring for dependency
> So you are not very much tied to spring.
> Btw. I am using spring on osgi and it works like a charm. The trick is to use the spring
osgi extender to start your contexts and not do it by hand. The extender will care about the
namespace handlers.
> So I would say that spring is quite mature on osgi.
> Best regards
> Christian
> Am 11.10.2010 17:54, schrieb Madhav Bhargava:
>> Hi,
>> Camel JMS component is tightly coupled with Spring JmsTemplate, which is
>> rather bad news. Given that Spring with its classloader hack tries to
>> resolve the namspace handler and fails miserably. It is just not meant for
>> OSGi setup.
>> Even if we try to move to Apache Aries Blueprint we still cannot move away
>> from Spring because of the decisions being taken to tightly couple Spring
>> framework.
>> Spring is not a mature framework for OSGi but its good for other
>> applications. Is there any effort to de-couple Camel API's from Spring
>> dependencies?
>> Best Regards,
>> Madhav
> --