camel-users mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <>
Subject Re: Camel JMS component tied to Spring framework - bad news
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:34:55 GMT
  Hi Traccy,

thanks for the link. The article is quite interesting. In practice we
did not encounter any problems till now but we did not mix several
versions of the same bundle so this could still hit us later.
As far as I understand you should be able to use Aries with camel even
though we use spring jms stuff. You simply would not start the spring
osgi extender in that case.

Am 13.10.2010 19:52, schrieb Tracy Snell:
> There are some caveats when using Spring-DM and OSGI. Guillaume Nodet does a far better
job than I ever could explaining some of the issues in his blog:
> Regards,
> Tracy Snell
> On Oct 12, 2010, at 3:08 AM, Christian Schneider wrote:
>> Hi Madhav,
>> while it is a shame that you canĀ“t use JmsTemplate and JmsMessagListener without
adding half of the spring jars to your project it does not force you to use spring for dependency
>> So you are not very much tied to spring.
>> Btw. I am using spring on osgi and it works like a charm. The trick is to use the
spring osgi extender to start your contexts and not do it by hand. The extender will care
about the namespace handlers.
>> So I would say that spring is quite mature on osgi.
>> Best regards
>> Christian
>> Am 11.10.2010 17:54, schrieb Madhav Bhargava:
>>> Hi,
>>> Camel JMS component is tightly coupled with Spring JmsTemplate, which is
>>> rather bad news. Given that Spring with its classloader hack tries to
>>> resolve the namspace handler and fails miserably. It is just not meant for
>>> OSGi setup.
>>> Even if we try to move to Apache Aries Blueprint we still cannot move away
>>> from Spring because of the decisions being taken to tightly couple Spring
>>> framework.
>>> Spring is not a mature framework for OSGi but its good for other
>>> applications. Is there any effort to de-couple Camel API's from Spring
>>> dependencies?
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Madhav
>> --