camel-users mailing list archives

From "John J. Franey" <jjfra...@gmail.com>
Subject surrogate key and integration pattern
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 01:51:31 GMT

Hi,

I'm looking for a discussion regarding the temptation to use surrogate keys
in integration data.

I know that exposing a surrogate key to an external system will naturalize
the key, it would become a business data element.  I want to avoid that.
However, we find we have a requirement to use a unique identifier to
correlate the entity among the systems that share the entity.  That
identifier would likely be called an 'id', just like the surrogate key.

Are you successful in keeping your surrogate key hidden, and how do you do
that?

I want to keep the surrogate key of a Customer, named 'id', hidden.
Unfortunately, a business level identifier would also be called a 'customer
id'.  In order to avoid a confusion, there is temptation to expose the
Customer id field.  I don't have a good name for the business level
identifier.

Thanks,
John