camel-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Activemq component und Delayer
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 19:46:36 GMT
Hi

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Norman Maurer <norman@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I'm currently lookin to migrate the remote delivery of mails in JAMES
> to use camel and activemq. I thought about using the Delayer for delay
> the execution of the retry to deliver a message when needed.
>
> But after lookin into the DelayProcessorSupport code I see it use
> Thread.sleep(...) for delay the execution of the next processor. So
> what would happen if I use it with activemq as consumer ?

Yeah the delayer EIP in Camel is just a simple thread sleep as its eg
not meant for long delays.

> Will it eat all "consumers" from the configured maxConcurrentConsumers
> and then just wait till one cosumer finishes before dispatch the next?
> When I understand it right then this will be the case...
> And will there be any problems with the long running transactions when
> I need for example need to delay for 4 hours ?

I recon you may have delays on either the sender or in the JMS broker.

For example it appears as you can ask the producers to schedule delivery
http://activemq.apache.org/delay-and-schedule-message-delivery.html

In terms of if you can set or configure the JMS Message to have delay
informatiom, eg so the message is only visible for consumers after X
time then I think you need to check with AMQ user forum if it supports
this.

--
Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer