camel-users mailing list archives

From jfaath <>
Subject error-handling advice with queues
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:57:34 GMT

I'm looking for some advice on how to deal with errors during a large
processing task.  It seems like it should be simple but I'm having trouble
figuring out what to do.

I have an HTTP endpoint that receives XML messages then sticks them in a
processing queue.  From the queue, they get unmarshalled into JAXB objects
and then processed by a Java class.  Now, the messages consist or a large
number of readings.  Some may be good, some may be bad.  The good ones get
processed, but the bad ones are stuffed into a JAXB object.

When the processing is done, I'd like to throw this object on an error queue
(or, marshal then throw on the queue).  But I can't figure out how to do
this the best way.  The processing class should exit gracefully so I don't
want to throw a final exception.

What might be the best way to do this?  Can I add the error object to a
queue programmatically within the processor?  Can the processor return the
error object so I can throw it on the queue via the route?  Is there a nice
and easy way to do this?