camel-users mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Apache Camel - Clustering/Loadbalancing solutions (inventory)
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:02:16 GMT
On 25 February 2010 16:28, Charles Moulliard <cmoulliard@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If we investigate what Camel 2.x project proposes in terms of
> clustering/loabalancing solution, we can categorize the solutions like this
> :
>
> 1. Loadbalancing
> loadbalance() : http://camel.apache.org/load-balancer.html
>
> 2. Clustering
>
> 2.1. Same JVM & CamelContext
> seda:// : http://camel.apache.org/seda.html or direct://
> and Threads() or threadPool()
>
> 2.2 Different JVM & CamelContext
> vm:// : http://camel.apache.org/vm.html
>
> 2.3 NMR
> nmr:// : http://camel.apache.org/nmr.html

JMS and activemq is well worth mentioning here as the default approach
for multi-JVM clustering with load balancing (and if JMSXGroupID is
used, auto-partitioning too).

A queue is basically a clustered, fault tolerant, location
transparent, failover capable, transactional version of "vm:". By
itself the nmr is really just the same kind of thing as vm:// - as its
typical use is to be a logical name inside a single JVM (albeit using
WSDL exchange pattern naming conventions rather than just a string in
vm:// - and ServiceMix tends to ensure that there is exactly one NMR
in the JVM whereas its quite easy to have many camel class loaders and
so vm:// spaces if you're not careful.

> 3. Cloudcomputing
>
> 3.1 camel-terracotta
> Extends the SEDA component
>
> 3.2 Cassandra
> It could be interesting to create a Cassandra endpoint to allow to consume
> info/camel messages from Cassandra DB (NOSQL database) or to push there
> camel message (using id + binary stream) ? What do you think ?
>
> Is this inventory complete and exhaustif ?

I'm liking the cassandra idea; that could be pretty interesting. It
might also make an interesting aggregator implementation since its
also distributed & can support multi-master etc

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration