camel-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [NEW] Camel 2.2 - Graceful Shutdown - Feedback welcome
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2009 06:10:50 GMT
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 2:51 AM, Willem Jiang <willem.jiang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just have another question.
> Does the batching consumer support the transaction?
> If so we need to consider to add some option like to rollback the completed
> transactions or just let them be.

Its only a few components which supports "real" transactions such as
JDBC and JMS based.
And its Spring TX that does the work behind the scenes.

The batch consumers, just have the batch name as they work on a batch
of input messages, such as X files, X emails etc.
And then go over these X files one by one. Each "one" is a isolated
Exchange and thus not transacted in a big batch.
So there are no problem stopping in the middle of this. Just that
sometimes I may be "nicer" to complete this batch before shutting
down.

Suppose its a job that runs once a day, and there are like 5 files
left to go over, then it may be nice if it could give it time to work
those 5 files before shutting down.

And the Aggregator EIP does in fact have a *batchConsumer* option
which allows it to expect the "number of messages from the batch" so
if you use this option and shutdown, then the Aggregator will not be
able to complete.

Since its a graceful shutdown then I do think it would be nice and
fair to let Camel complete those batches. However its only if those
batches have a significant number of pending messages it could take
long time. Suppose a file consumer is picking up files once a day and
there are 10000 files to process :). A better example may be some
process that download big big FTP files and there are plenty of those
files.

We could also consider adding some VETO to shutting down in case all
inflight and pending messages cannot be done in due time. But that
does not go well with OSGi if you stop a camel bundle. Then you cannot
VETO this in OSGi as well. The only remedy is to give it more time to
complete all those messages.

Okay that may be going to far. Lets keep the first installment of
graceful shutdown simple :)

--
Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer