camel-users mailing list archives

From pangea <>
Subject Is camel the right choice for me?
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 02:22:42 GMT

Helo all -

we have a home grown communication framework (based on other open source
components like apache commons, axis etc) that we have been using so far. It
works great but

- It has many limitations like no connection pooling,
- only supports tcp/ip, http(s), soap (Axis 1.4 only), and JDBC (hibernate
- we doesnt want to maintain it anymore

I am looking into replacing it with open source framework. I like the DSL
based approach of Camel and seems like its lightweight unlike Mule and
others. Appreciate if someone can let me know if camel supports the below
usecases. Thank you in advance

1) I should be able to configure/set all the protocol level properties (for
e.g. in case of http custom headers, keep-alive, GET or POST etc, for tcp-ip
- so_linger etc) thru configuration and also runtime from code.

2) Ability to pool the connections

3) Ability to configure multiple URLs for a given endpoint. Our partners
expose multiple URLs each for DEV, TEST, QA, PROD etc. Idea is to configure
all the URLs for these different regions during development and choose which
one to use while deployment.

4) Ability to expose all the protocol aspects so that we can modify if

5) Support for REST

6) Support for SOAP (ability to choose Axis or CXF or others)

7) Proxy configuration, NTLM auth for HTTP

8) Re-try strategies

9) Performant

1) Support for polling

2) Client certs (keystore) support