camel-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Zip format problem
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 11:12:52 GMT
On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Christian Grobmeier
<grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Camel provides a pluggable data format so we can have implementations
>> outside the camel-core
>>
>> But a selected few do not depend on 3rd party .jars which of course
>> allow us to host the implementations directly in camel-core.
>
>> Cool if you want to help then please take a look and see what you
>> think needs to be done.
>
> I just looked at it. Following your explaination with dependencies and
> looking at c-cores pom, I think that the ZipDataFormat needs to be
> extracted as a plugable implementation.
>
> If one would do this, we could do this also for GZipDataFormat which
> also is cared of by Compress.
>
> Same goes with ar, cpio, tar and bzip2 which could mean that the
> camel-compress component could support various additional formats
> which are not supported at the moment (or so it seems to me).

I like the idea of a single camel-compress component which offers a
range of compression libraries.
It would be too fine grained having a single component for: tar, zip,
rar, bzip2 and whatnot exists.

Does Apache Commons supports a uniform API for these underlying
compression libraries?

> The ZipDataFormat and the GZipDataFormat looks quite forward to me. I
> think with compress it's the same amount of source lines.

Yeah I doubt there is too much code needed to bridge Camel with these
compression libraries.

> To guarantee backwards compatibility the current Zip-Impl should be
> deprecated but enhanced with Vladimirs suggestions.

Yeah if we could make a new camel-compression component that host all
the new data formats for compression.
Then we can @deprecate or what makes the most sense the old data formats.

I gotta take a closer look at his suggestion.

--
Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/