camel-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <>
Subject Re: Why does ExchangeHelper.prepareAggregation modify the in body?
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 04:56:38 GMT
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 11:35 PM, snowbug<> wrote:
> Another thing I also want to point out is:
> the IN is only overwritten if the OUT is not null, so in my aggreator, I do
> not know if the content in IN is the original IN or the new OUT content. In
> other words, it is not consistency.
> I see the argument of setting the IN automatically, but I feel the
> implementation is still flawed. Leaving both IN and OUT untouched in this
> aggreation case seems is a better alternative as the user at least:
> 1. have control over what IN and OUT should be
> 2. no ambiguous on what the content in IN is.

1 + 2)
No as IN is not the original input, when you do an aggregation. Its
the result. However depending on how the route in the aggregation
Camel could let the reply be in either IN or OUT so end users was confused.

You can not assume that IN is always the payload before aggregation.

The aggregator EIP is slated for an overhaul in Camel 2.2, as it have
some other areas as well needed to be improved.