camel-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best Way Of Sending Messages To A Camel Context
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 09:48:40 GMT
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 6:14 AM, Carlo Camerino<carloc@sxchange.com.ph> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering on what is the best way to approach this. I have two
> applications. One is a web application and another one is an application
> running a camel context.
> Given this, I want my web application to commuinicate to the camel context
> which is running in a separate JVM on the same server.
Hi

To pass messages between JVMs you need protocols that support this,
such as the http or jms based.

> What is the best way to place a message on that context?
I do not think there is one way that is better than the other. It
depends on many factors. Maybe you already have a JMS messaging
infrastructure you can use.

But webservices is also a good solution as you can easily setup a
service for it and its easy for clients to communicate with it.

If you just need to pass a simple message then you can use easier
protocols such as plain HTTP.

Camel have the jetty component that can expose a plain http service.
Then you can send to it using regular HTTP POST.

> Will I use CXF directly?
Yeah that is also a solution. I

> I don't have a camel context running in my web application. Can i have a
> producertemplate without a camel context?
Yes Camel can easily be used as a client only. You do not need to
declare any routes on the client side.

All what is needed is 2 lines of code to setup the template

CamelContext context = new DefaultCamelContext();
ProducerTemplate template = context.createNewProducerTemplate();

// then reuse this template to send to the remote JVM

> i've taught of two appraoches that I could use
>
> one is to use cxf to place a web service call on the other context and the
> other one is to use JMS....
JMS is a bit overkill if you do not already have a JMS infrastructure.
Its afterall a new server you need to setup and run.
Althought a broker such as ActiveMQ can be embedded in any JVM.

--
Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/