camel-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Faster!!
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 04:18:03 GMT
Hi

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:14 PM, bwtaylor<bryan_w_taylor@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the thoughtful answer! CAMEL-1078 looks like a good start, and I
> see you pulled it in to 2.0.0 (much appreciated!!), so it seems progress is
> coming. I also note that CAMEL-963 depends on 1078 and asks for JMS to JMS
> handoffs to be comparable to native JMS. That's slated for 2.1. This makes
> me happy! More like this!
>
> As far as design tradeoffs, I completely understand. I'd recommend the
> approach that "most" things be simple, and the few hard things should be
> possible. So for example, if I know what types my messages should be, let me
> tell camel not to use its cleverness and to instead go fast. Your suggestion
> on turning error handling and JMX off is another good one. When I get a
> chance I play with these and post the results.
Another one, in trunk the stream cache is also disabled by default, so
that gives another "little boost".

> I do think that the ability to perform at speeds appropriate to the things
> being integrated is an important aspect of "making integration easier". Use
> cases like mine where I need 5k messages/second are still somewhat rare, but
> they'll be less rare over time, especially when you look at high throughput
> components like esper and mina.
Yeah could be nice with some "mode=speed" etc. when you want to go as
fast as possible.

Maybe we should have a wiki page for tips to improve performance or
how to configure Camel for this use case.
And well maybe in the future we could have some easy configuration for
this with a "profile/personality/mode" or whatever it could be named
to set up a preference for this particular route.

Anyway JMS and MINA routing with high speed would be on the radar as
high priority components to be as fast as possible.

BTW: The payloads you need yo send in real life with kind are they? Eg
small message, medium sized message, or big messages?
Are they byte[], stream based, text based or Objects?

And if you need a little content based routing, it could be faster to
have data as headers and use header as predicates for routing instead
of having
to look inside the body payload that is bigger.

> I'll also see if I can hook up a profiler and see if I can provide some
> vision on what the bottlenecks I see are. If 1078 lands in a snapshot I can
> try it out to and report back.

Cool that would be awesome.

And I guess when MINA 2.0 is out we could consider upgrading to it, if
its better and faster than 1.1.x