camel-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Anticipated final release schedule for 2.0
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 08:56:39 GMT
Hi

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:44 AM, iansrobinson <iansrobinson@gmail.com>wrote:

> Congratulations on the milestone 2 release.

Thanks it was long overdue in fact. But we decided at one point to go for a
bigger refactor in the async API that postponed at M2 release.
So I do hope people upgrade to it and give it a good test as we want to iron
out issues before we do a release candidate of 2.0.

> Do you have any estimate of when you might have a final release for version
> 2? (An indication of whether it would be in the order of weeks or months
> would be great - unless you have a more detailed schedule in mind.) I ask
> so
> that I can set expectations at my current client regarding the status of
> our
> dependencies (Camel included) as we approach the end of a delivery cycle.

This morning when I woke up I actually had the gut feeling that the current
code base is within release candidate range.
There are a few minor tickets to iron out and what people report on a daily
basis.

I do think we need to get CAMEL-1078 addressed but Hadrian got most of it
covered now.
As its needed to be done before we lock down the API with a 2.0 release.

The final release should be in first half of July 2009, that is my goal. So
its matter of weeks, or 1 month tops depending on the number of RCs we need
to build. It takes time and the voting at Apache takes 72 hours.

Post 2.0m2 there are 2 areas I would love people to test drive, that have
been changed significant
- camel-mail as it had some changes regarding send mails. So give it a go
and see if text mails, html mails, attachments, and alternative body works
- error handling in general, as its now based on the same grounds as dead
letter channel for all of them. So even transactional error handler can do
local Camel redeliveries.

 So if there are some early adaptors and wanna try the SNAPSHOT please go
ahead.

And as always feel free to give your feedback what you would like to be
included before we close the lid and call it 2.0 final.

And take a look at the 2.x overall design / goal and feel free to
comment/feedback as well
http://camel.apache.org/camel-20-design