camel-users mailing list archives

From bwtaylor <bryan_w_tay...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Faster!!
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:14:32 GMT

Thanks for the thoughtful answer! CAMEL-1078 looks like a good start, and I
see you pulled it in to 2.0.0 (much appreciated!!), so it seems progress is
coming. I also note that CAMEL-963 depends on 1078 and asks for JMS to JMS
handoffs to be comparable to native JMS. That's slated for 2.1. This makes
me happy! More like this!

As far as design tradeoffs, I completely understand. I'd recommend the
approach that "most" things be simple, and the few hard things should be
possible. So for example, if I know what types my messages should be, let me
tell camel not to use its cleverness and to instead go fast. Your suggestion
on turning error handling and JMX off is another good one. When I get a
chance I play with these and post the results.

I do think that the ability to perform at speeds appropriate to the things
being integrated is an important aspect of "making integration easier". Use
cases like mine where I need 5k messages/second are still somewhat rare, but
they'll be less rare over time, especially when you look at high throughput
components like esper and mina.

I'll also see if I can hook up a profiler and see if I can provide some
vision on what the bottlenecks I see are. If 1078 lands in a snapshot I can
try it out to and report back.