camel-users mailing list archives

From Frank Schwarz <>
Subject Aggregator batchTimeout
Date Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:35:38 GMT

I've got one more question about the reading of the documentation:
Aggregator ( has a attribute

batchTimeout: Timeout in millis. How long should the aggregator wait before
its completed and sends whatever it has currently aggregated.

How do you read it?
(a) The aggregation is aborted after the batchTimeout, leading to possibly
fragmentary messages. The aggregation is started, when the first message is
(b) The aggregator waits the batchTimeout timespan and then begins the
aggregation. Only messages that are available at this time are aggregated.

I understand (a) but unfortunately observe (b).

When there is a lot of variance of the arrival time of messages, than (b)
gives me a lot more latency than it would be necessary.

What is the intended behavior?

Kind regards,