camel-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ContextTestSupport
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 15:22:28 GMT
2008/11/29 Claus Ibsen <claus.ibsen@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> Actually I would love the we also supported the non bleeding edge
> developers that are *not* using Guice, Hamcrest and spring testing.
>
> I really understand Martins use-cases with rapid unit testing and
> having it all in a simple plain java file. I am not to keen on the
> java + spring xml for unit testing as you need two artifacts for this,
> and the files are not located in the same folder, so you need to
> navigate from src/test/java/.... to the same folder in
> src/test/resources. I know IDE support can help here but sometimes you
> actually browse using a plain text editor.
>
> So if CamelContextSupport or some other easy going can be used for
> easy plain old junit 3.8 testing in a single file then, and easy for
> end users to use then that has a big +1 for me

I totally hear you and agree! Its just that CamelContextSupport is
pretty basic (e.g. no support for Camel annotations). I find myself
using loads of magic helper methods or boiler plate code when Spring
Test and the Camel annotations gets rid of them all.

In general terms I think the best solution going forward is going to
be to use either Spring Test + JavaConfig really (when it works) or
Guice which will allow a single Java class to define the test, be
injected via Camel and Guice/Spring annotations with all its
dependencies - while supporting JUnit 3.x, 4.x and TestNG etc.

Though I also agree that learning Spring Test + JavaConfig or Guice is
maybe a bit too much for some folks who just want a simple base class.
I'm putting together a little test package right now as a simple
alternative - will check it in shortly...

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration