camel-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Celebrating Camel 1.4.0 release - New Tutorial - Feedback appreicated
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:43:29 GMT
Great stuff Claus! I've finally got time to read the whole thing, good job!

One real minor point with part 2...
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/tutorial-example-reportincident-part2.html

you can replace this code...
  // get the log component
            Component component = camel.getComponent("log");

            // create an endpoint and configure it.
            // Notice the URI parameters this is a common pratice in
Camel to configure
            // endpoints based on URI.
            // com.mycompany.part2 = the log category used. Will log
at INFO level as default
            Endpoint endpoint =
component.createEndpoint("log:com.mycompany.part2");

with just

            Endpoint endpoint = camel.getEndpoint("log:com.mycompany.part2");

which under the covers will do the same thing; resolving the component
and asking it to create the endpoint etc. No biggie though; its maybe
nice seeing how to do things by hand before the camel magic takes over
etc.

I was wondering if we could add a Part 4 at some point where we try
and hide more of the Camel APIs from the application code; using the
bean integration stuff more to do the heavy lifting without requiring
any of the Camel APIs (other than a few annotations here or there)
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/bean-integration.html

Ideally it'd be good if developers wrote POJOs with some annotations;
then the camel route binds things together; with the main Java code
not being dependent on any middleware specific APIs etc.

2008/7/22 Claus Ibsen <ci@silverbullet.dk>:
> Hi
>
> Camel 1.4.0 has finally been voted for release.
>
> To celebrate this great event I have written a new tutorial, that is inspired by a real
life use-case and how it can be implemented with Camel.

> The tutorial is target for end-users with no to medium knowledge of Camel. It's very
different from what we else have, since it's focused on how you can bring in Camel to an existing
solution and it's focused on using the Java building blocks that Camel also internally uses
for endpoints, producers and consumers etc.

> I plan to continue the tutorial, but at this point I would love some feedback. It does
after all take quite some time to write.

> I was inspired by a phone call from a colleague and my local development team that will
think Camel is a bit to "magic" and get off by it, if they can't fell they are in control
and slowly grasp Camel.

> Throwing annotations, spring xml files, AOP and Java DSL routes in their face would not
be the way to introduce Camel for a development team with strong roots in traditional J2EE
development with EJBs and heavy platforms.

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration