camel-users mailing list archives

From bwtaylor <bryan_w_tay...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Controlling the ApplicationContext used by a RouteBuilder
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 00:27:37 GMT

I'd still need the activemq.xml to start my ApplicationContext, as I want
it's lifecycle coupled to that of ActiveMQ and effectively embedded within
ActiveMQ. I suppose I could do by simply putting a factory bean for it in
activemq.xml. I liked the idea of my AC being the parent of the one created
by ActiveMQ, so that you still could put xml routes in activemq.xml with the
combined registry. I already tried it by subclassing
XBeanBrokerFactory.createApplicationContext(String uri) to call my parent
locator class followed by new ResourceXmlApplicationContext(resource,
parent). This solves my problem but isn't generalizable because I have to
import my specific locator. It's not particularly elegant, but it works.

Interestingly,  ResourceXmlApplicationContext does implement
ConfigurableApplicationContext which gives the setParent() method, so there
might be a way to combine our ideas. CamelContextFactoryBean could support
setParentApplicationContext() injected from the activmq.xml Context and then
it could use the combined (adopted?) AC if the child can be cast to
ConfigurableApplicationContext and a parent exists.

Actually, ConfigurableApplicationContext might be better a better interface
to use generally, since your implementation already conforms to it, and it
also allows you to add application listeners, to add both flavors of post
processors,  to refresh, and to add shutdown hooks. Application listeners
and refresh both seem very valueable. If this interests you, let me know, as
I'd be willing to send in patches.