camel-users mailing list archives

From cmoulliard <cmoulli...@gmail.com>
Subject bpm and events planned in Camel !
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 14:27:27 GMT

Hi,

Imagine that you start a ESB/SOA project and you are able to design using
EIP the routing that you need for most of your clients (ex : messages file
or queue messages must be parsed --> client must be identified --> messages
must be transformed --> DB must be called to enrich messages --> messages
enriched must be send back to the client through queue manager or file
directory). To develop this STP process, you use the Camel routing.

Unfortunately, over time, clients request more and more different extensions
points (meaning that the routing or workflow of a client is different from
another) and your routing becomes very complex because :
- lot of decision points have been added to change the routing according to
client's requirements,
- debugging/testing time increases to be able to tests all the test case or
debug problem
At that moment, you contemplate to reconsider your architectural platform
and to implement a dynamic routing based on the client workflow.

But How can I implement a dynamic routing between my components to
orchestrate the workflows of my clients ?

A solution that you can investigate to implement such a workflow is to use
an orchestration engine like WS-BPEL but your architecture does not require
to persist state of the tasks and to use webservices.

An interesting alternative is to use a workflow engine like jBoss BPM or
OSworkflow to orchestrate the communication between services/endpoints.
But this approach requires that you have one queue/service because the
orchestration engine must place messages into the queues to trigger the
correct service or component according to client's workflow.

The simplest solution would be to have event to trigger components.

Mule platform proposes this kind of functionality
(http://mule.mulesource.org/display/MULEUSER/BPM+Connector).

Of course, my question will be simple :

Are bpm endpoint (bpm:///) AND events between endpoints planned for Camel
like this is proposed within Mule ?

Regards,

Charles