camel-users mailing list archives

From cmoulliard <>
Subject Re: when to use camel
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:55:53 GMT

Hi Pratibha,

For me, Camel is much more than a simple routing engine. This is an ESB
comparable to Mule because it is not based on JBI specification and does not
use the NMR bus but allow you to send Java objects between endpoints. Mule
uses a Universal Message Object to do this job but the principe is the same.
Camel proposes a lot of components that you can use to read file, consume
web services through HTTP, receive from FTP server files, ....
Use it and you will enjoy it because you will love the simplicity to develop
routes inside Eclipse and how is it easy to debug. You don't need like in a
JBI server to create xbeans.xml files to declare the services/endpoints and
package them in SU or SA jar. Perhaps that at the end, you will decide to
forget ServiceMix3 in favor of Camel because you will discover that you can
also define in Camel the flow type that you want (SEDA, VM, DIRECT or JMS),
that you can handle transactions between endpoints, that you can clusterize
your solution using Terracotta, ..., that you can also change the Message
pattern (IN/OUT, IN/REPLY, ...)

Remark : I'm very impatient to see ServiceMix4 because Camel will be used as
the routing engine and will not longer be based on JBI.

Some current limitations are :
- Management of the services/endpoints of Camel,
- Java wrapper is not provided to start the Camel context (running inside a
spring container),
- Implementation of a Security framework (like Acegy, ...),
- Tracing facilities