camel-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven and commons-logging-api and the dreadful log4j problem
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 17:49:51 GMT
On 06/03/2008, davsclaus <cib_rejse@yahoo.dk> wrote:

>  Hi
>
>  I have been working on some patches for camel-mina as we needed camel to
>  support synchronous TCP communication and the likes.

Great!

>  During unit testing I was fighting to output DEBUG logging using
>  log4j.properties. It took quite a while for me to figure out that log4j is
>  not picked up/used at all during unit testing since the pom.xml that are
>  used default in camel depends on:
>
>       <dependency>
>         <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
>         <artifactId>commons-logging-api</artifactId>
>         <version>1.0.4</version>
>       </dependency>

FWIW the reason for this is that if you don't use the logging-api but
use logging, it tends to shove in a forced dependency on avalon,
logkit, log4j etc.

>  And apparently there is a difference when the artifcatid is -api
>  (commons-logging-api). The it does not include the Log4jFactory and then you
>  are stuck with lame JDK1.4 logging.
>

>  To remedy it I had to set this in the pom.xml in camel-mina component
>
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
>       <artifactId>commons-logging</artifactId>
>       <scope>test</scope>
>     </dependency>
>
>  This is the non -api version that includes the Log4jFactory and others.
>  Then the log4j.properties from test/resources is picked up and I can have
>  DEBUG logging from all the frameworks used (even Mina).
>
>  Changing the uber pom.xml to use the non -api did not work AFAIR - there
>  were some maven build problems later on.

I'm wondering if we should add the above dependency (a test scoped
dependency of commons-logging) to the root pom.xml?

>  Is there a sane reason why JCL has this abstraction between the -api and non
>  api version where the most used logging framework is excluded?

Yeah - see above :(

No idea why it doesn't just use optional for the log4j/avalon stuff

>  I just wanted to raise this on this forum. How does the camel developers go
>  around this? I am sure there are others that have had similar problems.

I often add commons-logging and log4j as test scopes in most
components. But its kinda sucky - am sure we can do something better
(e.g. maybe move those to root pom.xml?)

We so need IDEs to support maven pom refactoring :)

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration