camel-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Inspecting seda queues
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2008 09:43:06 GMT
On 08/01/2008, Arjan Moraal <nabble@ajmoraal.fastmail.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Our application consists of a lot of seda queues linking all routes and
> components together. But at the moment it is a bit of a black box, once a
> message from the JMS goes into a Camel route, there's nothing besides log4j
> output until the message comes out at the end of the route.
>
> Since some of the components might be slow (we've created a one for a slow
> proprietary system we are using), it is possible that one of the seda queues
> might be filling up and we need to tweak the number of threads, etc.
>
> So I though about some way to get an overview of all the seda queues in the
> system and the number of messages waiting in the queues.
>
> One possibility would be to create a static SedaRegister class where every
> SedaProducer registers itself upon instantiation. Via this register any
> class inside the same JVM could query the seda queues and write the state to
> a textfile, a database, or some management console. Or a JMX wrapper around
> this register.
>
> Another possibility would be to have a static Map where every SedaProducer
> writes its name and number of messages to, everytime a message is added
> to/removed from the queue.
>
> Or is there something in Camel already to achieve this?

We've been adding some JMX metrics so you can see throughput through
endpoints and so forth (rather like folks monitor JMS queues using JMX
stats). Try using trunk (as many of these changes were made after
1.2.0), enable JMX
<camelContext useJmx="true" ... />

and have a look with jConsole at things running and see what you think
- feedback greatly appreciated.

That reminds me - we really need a JMX page on the wiki describing how
it works and how to use jConsole etc.

I've also been wondering if we need a kinda Browser API in Camel to
allow you to browse capable endpoints. Not all endpoints will be
Browser-enabled but many will (e.g. HTTP, Files, JMS, SEDA) - there's
no reason why you couldn't browse the endpoint to see the pending
messages available, just like you'd browse a JMS queue.

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration