camel-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Integration Patterns inside the ActiveMQ Message Broker
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 06:43:10 GMT
On 04/10/2007, Nicky Sandhu <karajdaar@gmail.com> wrote:

> James.Strachan wrote:
> >
> > The thing is, thats not actually Java without the class declaration
> > :).  To get all the nice IDE completion; we'd need that line inside a
> > method in a class for a Java IDE.
> >
> Agreed! That is one thing that is unique to Camel and a good thing.
>

> James.Strachan wrote:
> >
> > We could support just the routing as a DSL in groovy or ruby (I've
> > kinda started some experiments in that direction in the camel-ruby and
> > camel-groovy modules).
> >
> I am a ruby user but I don't see why i'd want to give up on my
> autocompletion dsl in java or xml

Agreed. Though IDE tooling is getting better for groovy / ruby; I've
seen method completion working in ruby and the groovy plugin for the
latest IDEA EAP is amazing!

> James.Strachan wrote:
> >
> > Or we could actually write a real DSL - a very early attempt here:
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/camel/ide/camel-eclipse/
> >
> > which has little of the actual Antlr grammar there; but at least it
> > generates a nice text based editor in eclipse :)
> >

> Fantastic!! Just the other day I was doodling javacc grammar to represent an
> integration language that would translate to Camel.

Oooh! Do you fancy hacking the Antlr script instead? Then we'd have a
great editor too! The eclipse xText plugin is amazing; it generates
the tree view, colour coded text and the little warning/errror dots in
the text, scrollbar and problem log - with text completion too.

> Another idea I was twirling around with was using GEF (eclipse project) to
> graphically edit a route...seems like you have some basics of eclipse
> plugins going on...

Definitely! :)

Ultimately I'd love to have a single editor that you could use the
textual DSL (with completion) as one tab or flip ot the graphical
layout while editing the same model (being EMF underneath etc).

There's already an EIP editor for eclipse....
http://code.google.com/p/cimero2editor/

though this uses its own EMF model; which is a bit too servicemix-3
specific right now but at least it does the EIP drawing stuff; we
could maybe bridge that to Camel.
--
James
-------