camel-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: newbie questions
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 14:18:02 GMT
On 8/6/07, mat wang <camel.maillist@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/6/07, James Strachan <james.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 8/6/07, mat wang <camel.maillist@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks a lot for your detailed answers. After reading the documents of
> > > Camel, the materials were not enough for me to grab the whole
> > picture.  I
> > > have to read some of the source code.
> > >
> > > I  found out in DefaultEndpoint class:
> > >     public int hashCode() {
> > >         return endpointUri.hashCode() * 37 + 1;
> > >     }
> > >
> > > What is this supposed to mean?
> >
> > Just that 2 endpoints have the same hashcode if they have the same URL.
>

> Which means: endpointUri.hashCode() * 38 + 1 also works?

Yeah - its just an attempt to return a different hashcode to the
underlying string, while being equal for two endpoints with the same
endpointUri  really. IIRC the expression comes vaguely from Josh
Bloch's Java book (though the numbers might be a tad wrong).

> > I also felt this mail list seemed not very active. Camel is NOT popular?
> >
> > Camel is still relatively new; it kinda sprung from requirements in
> > ActiveMQ, CXF and ServiceMix which are all crazy-popular, so i expect
> > these lists to gather momentum; particularly as more users of
> > ActiveMQ/CXF/ServiceMix start using Camel to add easy EIP integration
> > etc.
>

> One suggestion: the camel website layout goods pretty good. However, the
> reader really needs more information in order to get know Camel. For
> instance, what does exactly router do? If a component could be both a
> consumer and a producer. But anyways, Thanks.

We really value feedback - especially when things are not very clear -
so many thanks.

Here's my first attempt at a FAQ entry to try clear this up...
http://cwiki.apache.org/CAMEL/what-is-a-router.html

Any other thoughts or impressions most welcome - especially if there's
something not clear or missing in the documentation
--
James
-------