camel-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <>
Subject Re: [HELP] - Profile camel-core for optimization and faster startup
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2017 18:42:44 GMT

Just a little status update, that after a bunch of different
optimisations, then the YourKit profiler is now down to showing that
the type converter registry and the uuid generator is potential
hot-spots, where the former is used a lot and we can optimise the
conversions for the core converters which I have logged a ticket
about. And the latter generates an string uuid for each exchange which
is a little bit long. As its sequencer based and have a fixed prefix,
then maybe there is some clever optimisation (essentially only the
sequence is different as they share the same prefix/seed). But its
already optimise as much by adding two strings together via

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 3:59 PM, Claus Ibsen <> wrote:
> Hi
> We have found a few spots to optimize the camel-core source code for
> thread contention and something else.
> You can use a profile tool such as YourKit which is excellent at
> identifying spots and visualizing what goes on in the JVM.
> We have used it in the past to optimise stuff. However recently Luca
> asked about making Camel startup faster:
> And although fast startup is not excatly the same as runtime
> performance then they are still related. A profile can help identify
> places for improvements.
> I have pushed a sample project at
> You can then run this via
>    mvn spring-boot:run
> And then attach YourKit profiler.
> However if you use IDEA then you can start YourKit, then from YourKit
> you can choose Integrate with IDE ... and then chose IDEA and then say
> ok even if IDEA is also running.
> In IDEA you should see a YourKit icon if you right-click on the
> SampleCamelApplication to run this application, then you can chose
> that to profile, and it run the app with profiler.
> You then switch to YourKit and you should start see data.
> To check for thread contention, then select the "Monitor Usage" tab,
> and then click the gear button with the play icon "Start Monitor
> Profile" which then starts capture data.
> For YourKit you can request a trial license that works for 2 weeks.
> --
> Claus Ibsen
> @davsclaus
> Camel in Action 2: