camel-dev mailing list archives

From "Siano, Stephan" <>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] HTTP session handling in Camel routes
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2016 08:58:05 GMT
Hi Claus,

Having the interface (and implementations) in camel-http-common makes sense to me. This means
that all the components below would have a dependency to camel-http-common. Does this make

I would implement the support for cookies in the producer endpoints for

camel-spark-rest does not support producer endpoints
I don't actually understand how camel-spring-ws handles HTTP protocol headers, so I would
like to leave the session handling support in there for someone else (who does understand
that component better than me). Anyway the change will be big enough as it is touching so
many components (and especially the tests for this are probably different for all these components).

Is this a way to go?

Best regards

-----Original Message-----
From: Claus Ibsen []
Sent: Montag, 17. Oktober 2016 10:08
To: dev <>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] HTTP session handling in Camel routes

I dont think cookie belongs in camel-core, and a better place is
likely something like camel-http-common.

And there are other http client components such as camel-nett4-http,
camel-jetty, camel-undertow as well. And then for REST based there is
camel-restlet and maybe camel-spark-rest.
And for WS there is also camel-spring-ws.

So if anything like cookie is attempted to be something that is a
cross functionality in http components then you would need to
implement this in more of them, and not only a limited set.

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 7:24 AM, Siano, Stephan <> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have not received any feedback so far, so I assume that there is at least nobody strongly
against this feature. Maybe I can sketch what I would like to implement and ask some questions
about implementation details.
> I would create an interface (CamelCookieHandler and two implementation classes InstanceCookieHandler
and ExchangeCookieHandler. The former keeps the cookie store with its instance, the latter
stores them with the Exchange.
> Furthermore I would extend some HTTP based producer endpoints with a parameter allowing
to set one of these cookie handlers.
> Questions:
> 1. The interface goes to package org.apache.camel. Where do the implementation classes
go? org.apache.camel.impl? Someone building a Camel route is supposed to instantiate these
> 2. Where do I document the general concept behind this? It's obviously cross component,
so adding it to the component documentation does not make too much sense. Is the Javadoc for
the interface and the implementation classes sufficient or should I add a Wiki page somewhere
> 3. I would add support for this to the camel-ahc, camel-cxf, and camel-http4 component.
Is the camel-http component still alive? Does it make sense to add it to other components
I overlooked?
> Best regards
> Stephan

Claus Ibsen