camel-dev mailing list archives

From "Siano, Stephan" <stephan.si...@sap.com>
Subject Concerning Attachments and Attachment Headers in Camel
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2016 12:42:06 GMT
Hi,

Is there anybody available in this list who knows why the attachment handling in Camel is
as it is?

I have had a look into this topic with the Camel-Mail and Camel-CXF components and would like
to discuss my thoughts about that.

In General the attachment handling is designed to support use cases like MIME-Multipart messages
(e.g. in Mail) or attachment formats as SOAP with attachments (e.g in CXF). An attachment
usually has some kind of identifier, a content type, an attachment body and attachment headers.
This is at least the case for the Javamail MIME Part (javax.mail.Part) and the CXF message
Attachment (org.apache.cxf.message.Attachment) object.

However the Camel Message interface has a different notion of attachments, there is only a
Map with an identifier (a key) and a DataHandler (representing the message body, the content
type and the content disposition). Therefore there is no representation of any other attachment
header. Was that left out on purpose?

Does it make sense to extend the Camel Message object (org.apache.camel.Message)? A change
here would run rather deep so I would like to discuss this first before I try to contribute
anything in this area.

Best regards
Stephan