camel-dev mailing list archives

From Quinn Stevenson <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] - Moving from maven-bundle-plugin to bnd-maven-plugin and SNAPSHOT versions
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2016 16:39:26 GMT
Thanks Raul -

I didn’t realize the SNAPSHOTs were always deployed.  I tried using the SNAPSHOT repository
quite a while ago, and it didn’t ever seem to be very current.

Regardless, given the way we generate our Import-Package header today (we don’t use SNAPSHOT
there), the versions will resolve.  But I would hope that nobody would actually try and use
SNAPSHOT versions in production or test.  I did that with a customer a couple of years ago,
and the chaos was tremendous - bundles updated at the most inopportune moments, and the environment
would break.  It took quite a while to figure out what was going on and once we did, we changed
our policy so that SNAPSHOT versions were only used in development environments.

> On Apr 6, 2016, at 9:39 AM, Raul Kripalani <> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Quinn Stevenson <
>> wrote:
>> Also, since Camel doesn’t really “release” any SNAPSHOT builds, this is a
>> decision that only effects the development community IMO.  People
>> building/using SNAPSHOT versions must understand what’s going on anyway -
>> either way will work.
> Actually we do release nightly SNAPSHOTs:
> .
> And you can install them directly in a modern Karaf container without
> downloading them first to your local repo. Karaf is configured OOTB to
> search in the ASF Snapshots repo.
> $ feature:repo-add camel 2.18-SNAPSHOT
> and off you go.
> *Raúl Kripalani*