camel-dev mailing list archives

From Quinn Stevenson <>
Subject Re: camel-blueprint, camel-scr and camel-core-osgi relationship
Date Sun, 13 Mar 2016 22:57:44 GMT
Thanks for the background Claus - I completely understand how software can evolve in interesting

It really threw me for a while when I was debugging because I was changing camel-core-osgi
and re-deployig it to Karaf - but my changes wouldn’t show up.  I had to build both camel-core-osgi
and camel-blueprint and then update camel-blueprint to get my changes in - that’s when I
came across this.

Do you think this would be worth creating a JIRA for addressing?  Do you think the containers
have matured enough now that the duplication could be eliminated?

I think it would be nice if everything that needed the classes from camel-core-osgi and camel-core-xml
could just use the bundles, but I understand that may not be possible.

> On Mar 13, 2016, at 1:04 AM, Claus Ibsen <> wrote:
> Hi
> OSGi is complicated, in fact a lot.
> Camel has been supporting osgi for almost all its lifetime. And back
> then, only spring-dm was available for running camel on servicemix.
> And then later blueprint came, and they needed to share some code,
> hence core-osgi and core-xml.
> And back then the osgi containers was also more buggy and could not
> work well when you had core-osgi and core-xml as separate bundles.
> Also split packages problems and other endless problems.
> And then recently scr came along.
> Bottom line historical, osgi problems and whatnot makes the world as today.
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Quinn Stevenson
> <> wrote:
>> While I was trying to track down another issue, I discovered that the the dependencies
on the classes in camel-core-osgi are handled differently by camel-blueprint and camel-scr.
>> The camel-blueprint bundle includes the class files from camel-core-osgi (and camel-core-xml
for that matter), while camel-scr declares a dependency on the package and uses the camel-core-osgi
>> Shouldn’t the classes in camel-core-osgi be used the same way?
> --
> Claus Ibsen
> @davsclaus
> Camel in Action 2: