camel-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <>
Subject Re: Few CXFRS patches
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2015 11:51:45 GMT
On 17/01/15 10:36, Claus Ibsen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 6:13 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> Happy New Year,
>> I've worked on creating few CXFRS patches, Willem has helped with applying
>> one of them (thanks).
>> I'd like to ask Willem or someone else who has some experience with CXFRS to
>> review and apply two more patches (sometime next week would be great).
>> The patch at [1] fixes a minor bug where CXFRS does not support CXF JAX-RS
>> model resources. I'm aware a number of CXF users do use the external models
>> to turn non-annotated classes into JAX-RS endpoints, so it is going be
>> useful. Besides, I'd like to use this fix as a base for doing an initial POC
>> for CXFRS endpoint registering a model only, no concrete interfaces or
>> implementations (though I guess some default class would have to be used
>> internally).
> Would that also be possible to build a model in CXF for CXF-RS
> services? I am asking as the new rest-dsl does that. And we support a
> number of components, but not yet CXF.
> So if that is possible or almost possible in CXF, then IMHO it would
> be good if we could get it possible, so camel-cxf is supported with
> rest-dsl.
> There is a JIRA ticket
To be honest I'm not exactly sure why it can be interesting. As far as I
understand users chose their favorite Camel HTTP-aware components and
work with them, why combine REST DSL Component and CXFRS ? The latter
has a no less capable native support for templates/etc.

from(cxfrs).to(cxfrs) works ok.

I guess from(restdsl).to(cxfrs) can be interesting from the pure
integration point of view.

I will investigate how this can be made to work once I make some more
progress on the CXF end with respect to loosening a bit the JAX-RS
frontend's strict reliance on having a concrete interface with JAX-RS
annotations being available...

>> The patch at [2] provides for an optional but very important improvement
>> which will make it much easier for CXF JAX-RS users with the existing JAX-RS
>> implementations migrate to Camel. It is safe, simple and as I said,
>> optional. As I explained at [3], this patch will let CXFRS users route not
>> only the request properties to the next route point but also an existing
>> service's response if it is possible. Example, the existing DB query would
>> return some object (thus no need to do it again in a Camel processor) and
>> then the processor would posty the response to a queue, log, etc...
>> Patch to [4] is also available, but I'm thinking it may need a bit more
>> work, so patches to [1] and [2] is what I'd appreciate someone aplying next
>> week
>> Cheers, Sergey
>> [1]
>> [2]