camel-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] - Documentation edit contributions to hard for ppl to do
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:47:16 GMT

On Sep 17, 2014, at 9:19 AM, Claus Ibsen <claus.ibsen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wonder if we can make it easier for people to help contribute to the
> wiki documentation?
>
> For example if we do NOT ship any documentation in the release kit (eg
> today we slurp all the website into one giant single .html file, which
> has very limited usage). Then we could likely remove that barrier
> where people have to sign an ICLA and fax/email to ASF first.

I would be against this move….   There are at least two companies that grab chunks of the
documentation to augment their own documentation and without the ICLA in place, the legalities
for doing so could be questionable.     This is official documentation and thus an important
resource of the project and thus should be covered by the CLAs.

> 2)
> Make it easier to let give edit rights to the wiki accounts. In the
> old days we could manage that ourself in the Camel team. But today its
> cumbersome as we need to involve ASF INFRA and whatnot.

The Camel committers/pmc should have access to add individual people to the space at:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/spaces/spacepermissions.action?key=CAMEL

and not involve INFRA.    Periodically we could colesc all the individual people down into
a group that we log with INFRA to add to the asf_icla so they could help with other projects
as well, but that’s optional.

> Bottom line, people dont want to jump the hoops to help with the docs.
> And we the Camel team cannot spend ages in the "workflow" either to
> get people setup, where it takes days and weeks.

We could emphasize the “Comment” link at the bottom of each page a bit more and have people
that don’t have the ICLA provide comments on the pages about what is wrong, needs to change,
etc…..    Those comments SHOULD be sent to the commits list, but we’d have to check that.
   Obviously the committers would have to look out for them and then actually make the changes.
      I’d need to check the Confluence API’s, but it might be possible to once a week
or so have a script that would list all the pages with comments on them and send that to the
dev list.  (like we do for JIRA’s with recent attachments for some of the projects).

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp